November 2, 2012

the beginnings

I've only been here for one full day and Japan has already changed me! Folks, I am now reading the newspaper!

I figured it's one way I can stay in tuned with what's going on the US as well as all around the world. Did you guys know that a government "think tank" (whatever that is) in China is pushing for China to lift the One-Child policy to a Two Child policy by 2015? Or that the Sistine Chapel turned 500 years old on Halloween this year? And that it's arguably the most visited room in the world? I'm beginning to de-ethnocentri-tizing myself.

I am now also a member of Shizuoka Bank and have my own bank book...which I still have no idea what to do with. I have MONEY in a BANK in JAPAN, y'all! 
My bank book
All Japanese and any foreigners who intend on living in Japan long term need to have what's called a hanko which is a stamp of your last name; your family name. It's considered your official signature to do pretty much everything here, such as opening a bank account. So guess who has one now!

I've always seen my grandparents use theirs when I would visit here growing up and it just looked so cool as I knew it was something legit. And now I can partake in that legit-ness. I will also be signing all my letters to friends and family with this stamp so be expecting this awesomeness. I'm pretty sure that owning one of these has bumped me up to 3/4 Japanese now. It even has it's own case! I think I'm too excited about this...

My arrival in Japan was filled with so much kindness and generosity. I was picked up by Ben and Joanna. Ben is the husband of the house and Joanna is their daughter. The ride home from the airport was filled with Joanna sharing all the fun and exciting events coming up in the church, mainly with the youth, that she has invited me to. I was so inspired and encouraged for her joy and love for the youth of the city. So excited to have a schedule in progress!

Arrived at the house to this:

All done by another girl living in the house that I've never met, but was so sweet enough to welcome me like this! I mean, really?? I've just been overwhelmed by the kindness and hospitality they have shown me already.

So now the job hunt begins. I have a couple possibilities so just praying for peace about it all. God has proven faithful with His provision in small things already that I'm reminded of how much He will then provide for me in the bigger things. 

Oh how this is stretching me!!

4 comments:

  1. Welcome to Japan, Mariko! Can't wait to see you! The Bostroms in Kakegawa

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is so awesome! I can't wait to hear about more adventures:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are so legit Japanese now. I kinda want my own stamp, make it happen Empress!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey can you get a stamp for me too? I can use it with my parents on letters that go home! hehee! Can't wait when you become 100% Japanese! Much Love!

      Delete